Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Salad 2015: My Sneha

I can hardly believe that I am back after a four year Y2K Salad hiatus. What prompted my return? My shrink gave me a book called Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth, and whilst flipping through it I literally thought, "Oh my gosh I used to blog about salads!" 

I have a 2015 salad to share. 

It is off the hook, and not for the faint of heart. 

You will need:

  • 1/2 bag Fresh Express Veggie Lovers salad mix. This mix crucial: crunchy pea pods, roughly grated carrots, the chew of red cabbage. 
  • 1 avocado, cubed
  • a sprinkling of cubed brie, not too much
  • one layer of Fresh Gourmet Crispy Onions, lightly salted variety
  • one dollop of Patak's Original Sweet Mango Chutney
  • walnuts!
  • a pour of olive oil
  • a splash of balsamic vinegar


What to expect:
The strange and thunderously appealing texture of a flake of crispy fried onion, chutney-cemented to a hunk of walnut, all smashed up with  a  chewy leaf of of lettuce stuck to a hunk of fatty brie. Burnt brown cinnamon mango at delightful odds with mild chewy cheese. The vascular crunch of the center of a romaine leaf, the pop of a pea pod. A layer of shredded cabbage, grated carrots, fried onions clinging to the edge of the bowl, for which you will want a spoon. 

I endorse extravagance of ingredients (and all things!), but "my sneha" needs to be absolutely dominated by lettuce to make palatable the heft of avocado, chutney, and brie. 

Food and love are intertwined. Sneha, in Hindi, is "love, " "oil," and "fat." This salad I will call "my sneha," because you have to be brave to love. 












No comments:

Post a Comment